Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins




Backstory: Yeah that’s right, I’m only playing this now – kinda surprising really. One because I’m a big fan of Bioware games, and two I bought this actually when it came out like two years ago. I grabbed the collectors edition on xbox and I remember playing it briefly, but something else must’ve grabbed my attention then (I forget what). Now though I’ve bought it for the PC which I’m now glad, it just feels better to play on PC rather than consoles, also It’s the Ultimate edition so I don’t have to worry about needing anything else. Now I’ve played Baldurs Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights and Mass Effect so I was pretty positive I’d like DAO – also hearing the rave people’s opinion, especially from Symon here! Haha.

So I heard at the beginning you can start in 6 different ways – or Origins is what they’re called, sounds great. I’m sure there’s a bunch of games that have start off’s like this, World of Warcraft I suppose but it reminded me of SeikenDenstu 3 fron the Super Nintendo, where you had a choice of 6 characters to choose at the start and each had their own branch that led eventually together on the main story. But it was also cool you could meet up with those characters through the story and some could join you. Anyway I chose the Human Noble and currently I played about 8 hours so far. Really love it already, they’ve really given the plot plenty of character development with emotion and feeling, it makes you care about your party members and what they have to say.

The interface is great for gameplay, you have a choice of either a third person view (the modern standard)or an isometric view (the classic view), that’s awesome. Everything from the menu’s and skills, it seems like they’ve tapped in all the best interface from other games and put it all into one. I heard the dialogue tree in DAO is the deepest in Bioware’s games so far, that’s great. It’s been disappointing lately with Mass Effect 2 not really delivering on that, so I’m intrigued to see how many times I’ll be replaying Dragon Age over and over, believe me I’ve done to Kotor and Mass Effect 1 plenty o’ times hehe!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking as someone who's done absolutely everything there is to do on DAO (lol) I have to say that the Human Noble origin is by far the most emotionally charged and the best one to start out with, as it really gets you involved in the story and the outcomes of your actions - glad you're liking it, it's a brilliant game!! ^__^

    ReplyDelete